One’s (butter and) egg money Fig. Money that a farm woman earns. Farm women would often sell butter and eggs for extra money that would be stashed away for an emergency. “Jane was saving her butter and egg money for a new TV. I’ve got my egg money. Let’s go shopping.” — From McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs
Image credit apronmemories.blogspot.com
Growing and/or producing some portion of your own food supply can have liberating effects on your wallet and your life. It is a small step towards self-reliance and peace of mind, and not only are you able to feed yourself and your family, you are also sowing a more local food economy.
For some, greater control over food sources means producing their own food. For others, it’s having direct, face-to-face access to local producers. Eggzy enables both; providing tools for producers, and direct access for consumers, while emphasizing community, transparency and cost sharing.
The advantages of a small home-based business like an egg stand can be empowering. What if you aren’t able to grow your own? Find local egg stands near you and help support a flock owner by sharing the costs of production.
Got a backyard flock? Eggzy puts you in control. We’re building easy-to-use-tools to simplify flock management and record keeping. You control how things work – whether you share, barter or sell your eggs, Eggzy gives you the information you need.
- If you’re a registered Eggzy flock owner, creating an Eggzy egg stand is fast and easy (http://www.eggzy.net/flockowners)
- Keeping an egg stand encourages regular usage of Eggzy tools – which encourage good agricultural practices (GAP)
- Egg stand owners can share flock info and egg availability with others easily by way of the subscriber feature (http://www.eggzy.net/help/#posting)
- Egg stand owners gain exposure from press and promotions
- Launching an Eggzy egg stand is free to create and free to use, so why not start (or update) yours today (http://www.eggzy.net/help/#customizing)?
* This post was originally published on September 24, 2011.
We’ve added a ‘Favorite’ feature to Eggzy! With this new feature you will be able to collect and save egg stands to your account, enabling a system of short-cuts to access those saved flocks whenever you want without having to do a zip code search each time.
Favorites can be identified by a small icon of a badge (or ribbon). The icon is either grey or gold depending on the selection state; grey if unselected, and gold when selected.
The grey Favorite icon can be seen by all who visit the site but can only be selected (made gold) by logged in Eggzy members. The new Favorites feature exists in three places across the site so you can easily identify those flocks you buy from, sell to, or simply admire:
- All egg stands listing/search pages
- On each egg stand
- In a new ‘Favorites’ section within member hub pages under ‘Activity’
'Favorites' is located on the Egg Stand listing pages.
Favorites' is also on each Egg Stand page next to the Flock name.
There is also a new ‘Favorites’ section within your hub under ‘Activity'.
We will be detailing the new Favorites feature in the Help section, in the meantime, please contact us with any questions, bug reports or suggestions that you may have.
We appreciate hearing from our members, your feedback serves to inform and guide the site features and our priorities.