For people with certain dietary restrictions and food allergies, eggs can be an essential part of a healthy diet. Recently, we’ve been experimenting with a ‘no’ carbohydrate/high protein diet known as the Paleo diet, and lucky for us eggs are on the menu! Interestingly, we have many friends who are vegetarians and they chuckle at the idea of a ‘caveman’ diet, after all, it does sound pretty meaty doesn’t it? ‘-) Fortunately, between fruits, vegetables and eggs, we can still share a meal with those same meat-shunning friends.
We all know that eggs are a great source of protein and yes, eggs are high in cholesterol, but they are also low in saturated fats and rich in hard to find nutrients such as vitamin D (in the yolks) and choline. And remember, eggs from pastured birds are proven to be healthier and more nutritious than traditionally produced eggs.
Basic egg muffin recipes ingredients:
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 8 – 10 pastured eggs
- 1/4 cup milk (almond milk is a great substitute if dairy is not in your diet)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Prepare a 12-cup muffin pan with shortening of choice
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, salt and pepper and milk
- Use a measuring cup to fill muffin wells with egg mixture, about 1/4 cup each
- Bake the egg muffins for 20 to 25 minutes or until eggs are set in the middle, cool on rack 5 minutes before serving
Feel free to mix and add other ingredients as you desire, and as your diet permits. You can add things like cheese, fresh herbs, seasonal vegetables and meats or meat substitute and even smoked fish. Need some ideas? Here are a few egg muffin recipes we really like: